Friday, March 02, 2007

Steve Harvey: "I'm a Christian, but..."





You have to get up early to hang with Steve Harvey. A line of people snaked down the front of the Charlotte Convention Center early Friday morning to watch a live broadcast of "The Steve Harvey Morning Show." Harvey, whose show airs on Charlotte’s V101.9, has a top-rated morning radio show -- and on Friday, he showed fans why.

He started telling jokes at 6 a.m. and didn’t stop until after he walked out of the building five hours later. He opened and closed the show with inspirational words about spiritual faith and believing in yourself. Harvey mixes social commentary, such as the demise of today’s music, with his jokes.

Charlotte’s John P. Kee opened the show with a gospel song that got the crowd on its feet and dancing at 6:10 a.m. About an hour later, Ruben Studdard performed "Change Me," "Make You Feel Beautiful" and "Sorry 2004."
For the remaining hours, Harvey and his crew entertained audience members by reading from e-mails and conducting a talent show in which they skewered contestants.

This is Harvey’s second year performing at the Ford Fan Experience as part of the CIAA.
"I had such a good time last year," he said. "I asked them if I could come back."

My favorite lines of the morning:
*"Some of ya’ll got on evening wear. It’s a little early for sequins."
*"It’s a different mind-set coming from light-skinned people."
*"I’m 'a do me an album. Jamie Foxx got one."
*"I’m a Christian, too, but I use the forgiveness clause."

1 comments:

jd said...

I can't wait until I move to Charlotte!