Friday, March 02, 2007

E.U. versus Tanglewood





I’m chilling inside the Extravaganza Depot about 4:15 p.m. listening to E.U. crank out “Family Affair.”
I am in my element with a grin on my face and small plate of food in front of me. Then Power 98/V101.9 general manager Terri Avery presents me with a dilemma. We’re talking about how much we love go-go and how crazy the weekend is going to be when Avery tells me Tempo has about 1,000 people inside right now.
I look at the dance floor inside Extravaganza. My eyes begin to mist. I’m from Maryland and I love go-go. I’ve never heard E.U. live, but there are only a handful of people on the dance floor. The rest are standing in the corner or sitting at tables eating grilled hamburgers, hotdogs and baked beans. ( Speaking of E.U., Jonathan Tate, who said he's Sugarbear's manager, said the band will definitely be performing at the Grady Cole Center on Saturday.)
The band just got started and folks are slowly pouring inside. I can stay here, listen to E.U. and hope the party picks up. Or I can race across town during rush hour and catch the last of the Original Tanglewood Fish Fry at Tempo.
I wolf down my hotdog, grab a bottle of water and hop on the bike. By the time I arrive at Tempo about 15 minutes later (traffic is crazy), there’s still a line of people outside waiting to get in. The party started at noon and was scheduled to end at 5 p.m. Inside, couples dance to Slick Rick, Lil’ Wayne and Rich Boy. All of the tables are full, the bar area is nearly impassable and the patio is more than half full as well.
It’s Friday baby and the parties are on and poppin’.
I’m off to barhop uptown before I head over to the Crown Royal Reception at Emerson Joseph.

0 comments: