Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Perfect Traffic Storm

I was trying to get to Congressman Mel Watt's reception at Blue on Friday night when I ran into traffic like I've never ever seen in Charlotte before. If you think driving is bad uptown during a Bobcats or a Panthers game, think again.

On Friday somewhere around midnight, the last game ended at the arena and the Step Show ended at the Charlotte Convention Center. At the same time, cars streamed into uptown for parties and clubs. The perfect traffic storm.

When I pulled onto Fourth Street, all I saw was a sea of red -- brake lights. The roads from Caldwell to Church streets and from Ninth to Fourth streets were a parking lot. Since I live here, I figured I could zip down Eighth Street, cut across Tryon and roll down Church Street. I ended up in another parking lot.

Finally, I gave up and cut down Sixth Street and shot across to Graham Street. I went to Morehead Street for the Magic Johnson and Al B. Sure party at the Big Chill.

My Paid to Party scouts tell me that uptown sidewalks were just as crowded. Also, the Bad Boys of Comedy concert at Ovens Auditorium had cars backed up along Independence Boulevard. All week, we've been asking where are the all the people for the CIAA?

They were out last night.

Tonight, I'm getting uptown early for the game and leaving my car parked. Forget starting my night at midnight like I usually do.

0 comments: