Saturday, March 04, 2006

In da' clubs

My night started at the Big Chill at midnight and didn't end until 4 a.m. at the Coffee Cup.

Where to begin?

The Magic Johnson and Al B. Sure party at the Big Chill was packed like I expected Friday. Every inch of that club had people.

A photo guy set up in the corner snapping Polaroids. Magic and Sure chilled in the VIP area. Couples danced, but nearly as many people sat on sofas, chairs and anything else they could find.

After leaving Magic's party, I stopped next door at Dilworth Neighborhood Bar and Grill. This was a smaller party and a nice breather from the Big Chill. Next, I swung by the Best Western because actor Morris Chestnut was supposed to host a party. It was 1:30 a.m. and that party was already over. (Not good.)

My last party stop was Kon Funk Shon Friday at Eden. DJs D.R. and Buttafingaz spun. That party had a good mix of Eden late night regulars and CIAA folks. I chilled in Lava talking to Mike Kitchens, the women from A Gem Am I, the guy from Liquid Lounge and Elevate's Larkin. I met some cool new people too.

By 3 a.m., Larkin and I were starved so we met up at the Coffee Cup. Crowded doesn't even describe the scene, but I expected that. After all it was 3 a.m. We waited for an hour for our food and of course the eggs were cold, the waffles were lukewarm, but the chicken was piping hot. You know at that point it doesn't even matter. I just wanted to eat and go to bed. And I'll probably be back there again tonight.

I talked to several people at the restaurant to see what happened at the parties I missed. Here's what I heard was off the hook: Big Tigger at Jillian’s, Whoudini along with Monie Love and Big Daddy Kane at The Hilton Center City (they actually performed), DJ Clue at the Forum (and no Jay-Z didn't show up)and Fantasia along with Trina at the Hyatt in SouthPark.

What's up for tonight? I'm going to the go-go to see Chuck Brown. I know L.L. Cool J at the Convention Center is going to be nuts.

What about you? Holla' at a sista if you see me in the streets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Hilton on Friday night was very special. It was crowded and hype, but the whole Monie Love appearence took it to another level. She said she wasn't scheduled to be there. She simply found out Big Daddy Kane was going to be there, so she flew down to see him. She didn't want to perform or even come on stage but he made her. She did Monie in the Middle and then her part from Ladies First. It was short but she was good. She said she hadn't performed in years. Sounds like a history making night. You missed it Tonya.

Anonymous said...

how the the show that Anthony Hamilton performed at with Fantasia hosting?