Sunday, March 05, 2006

Wind Me Up Chuck!


The floor inside the Hilton Center City is actually bouncing.

It's 12:15 a.m. and we're in a third floor ballroom with at least 1,000 people for the Chuck Brown show. When the Godfather of Go-Go starts playing, fans dance so hard that the floor bounces. I briefly worry the floor is going to cave-in. Then I throw my hand in the air and shout "Wind Me Up Chuck" along with everyone else. It's almost like I'm home in Maryland.

If you have never been to a go-go, you've missed an experience. Go-go is percussion-based music with a distinct beat that is the base of every song. Bands often cover contemporary hits, such as the Ashlee Simpson's "Pieces of Me" or Jill Scott's "It's Love." Bands also write their own material that becomes huge as well. For example, Jay-Z's "Do It Again" was basically a cover of the go-go band Rare Essence's song "Overnight Scenario." Go-go is also all about call and response. All night, Chuck would ask "Are ya'll tired yet?," and the crowd shouted "Hell no!." The last component is shout-outs. Fans handed Chuck slips of paper with the name of their crew and their neighborhood. He would read the information as part of his songs.

Chuck, who is at least 70, is to go-go what James Brown is to soul. I hadn't seen him live since I was in college and attended a huge festival in Wilmer's Park back home. That's why I couldn't miss Saturday's show. And the hundreds of people packing the ballroom with me didn't want to miss it either. The good thing about seeing him here is that the audience was a mix of young and old and I didn't have to worry about neighborhood beefs like you do in the D.C. area.

Instead of keeping one eye out for a potential fight, we could focus on sweating and dancing for two hours as Chuck and his full band pumped out hits such as "Run Joe," "Moody's Mood" and more. Most young go-go bands focus on original songs and remaking hip-hop tunes, but Chuck is a jazz artist at heart. So, he'll do jazz standards as well as hip-hop. His original songs though are narratives of street life, such as "Cat In the Hat," about a junkie.

One fan stood in the back of the ballroom shaking a tambourine as he danced. Couples dance together, men grooved in pockets of friends and women did the same. To the side of a stage, this older white guy did this sort of ballroom style dancing with an older black woman (something I've never seen at a go-go). Fans crowded the stage and Chuck blasted one guy for pushing women to get to the front. Chuck shook hands with people as he performed and after his set he hung out onstage and continued greeting fans.

Chuck Brown in Charlotte. I can't believe it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is true, Chuck Brown had the floor bouncing. I thought about it colasping like a house party in a old wooden rental house back in the day. But then I thought....this building may be 'earth-quake proof.' Other than taking a bullet for my family or a leader, I could 'go out' like that. So I stayed and helped to 'milk' all that we could from Chuck Brown. The Man is fantastic. The gig was fantastic. The people were fantastic!

Anonymous said...

From Charlotte, live in DC. Gogo is the solitary thing here that makes me not want to leave! I've seen Chuck three times and I know he cranked for the Queen City. He definitely deserves a place in the pantheon of black music deities. Chuck Baby don't give a...

Anonymous said...

CHUCK PUT IT DOWN IN THE HILTON!!! SIMPLY PUT!!! WIND ME UP CHUCK!!!