Sunday, March 05, 2006

The party's over, but what a party

All week, we've been wondering where are the people. On Friday, CIAA fans and revelers slammed Charlotte like a hurricane. It's Sunday morning and uptown is nothing but idling cars and partiers crowding sidewalks.

After the Chuck Brown show, I stroll over to the Westin, which is the unofficial after-party. At least 1,000 people fill the lobby and lounge. It's the place to meet up with your friends and recap the night. Folks are chillin' so hard that a couple of men and women play spades -- at 3 a.m. Bobcats Emeka Okafor is there too.

The party didn't last as long as I expected though. The fire alarm goes off about 3 a.m. An automated voice tells people to find the nearest exit. No one does. Finally, a police officer walks around and politely asks everyone to leave. We drift out slowly, still not ready for the weekend to end.

I stop by a 24-hour diner off Central Avenue near Eastland Mall. I figure San Remo will be empty. Once I get there, I don't bother going inside. It's full. Heading home I spot a taco vendor at Central and Kilborne. Can I tell you, I ate the best burrito I've ever had. It was huge and only $5. It had onions, some kind of yellow sauce, chicken and rice. If this trailer was uptown it would give the chicken-on-a-stick stand, at Sixth and Church, serious competition.

Where did you go last night? My Paid to Party scouts tell me the LIEU Cool J event at the Convention Center was nuts. I hear Bob Johnson and Charles Oakley were at the No Grease party at Founder's Hall. What else happened last night? Post your replies below.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The A-List party at the Omni!!!! Must have been 1,000 inside the party and about half that in the lobby outside.

Anonymous said...

Anthony Hamilton was also at the No Grease Party and came with a crew of people.

AND Yes - the Omni was full until the wee hours of the morning.

Anonymous said...

This was my first time attending the CIAA Tournament and I must say it trully an experience! I'm an HBCU Grad (Skegee U} and it did my soul good to be back in that type atmosphere... I am definitely going to add to my calender of yearly-must-attend-events.

Anonymous said...

did anyone go to the party that Fantasia and Trina hosted....details details