Friday, March 03, 2006

The Jump-off

Partying on Thursday night is what I've been waiting for all week. People packing clubs and having a good time.

I started at the AKA party at the Forum. What!

The main dance floor was ridiculous. The mezzanine was just as crowded and the rooftop had a small crowd as well. Big shouts to DJ Stacey Blackman. He kept people on the dance floor, and pulled out some track that I didn't even know he had. The Alphas, the AKA's brother fraternity, shouted their chants and drowned out the music. I peeped Panther Julius Peppers chillin' in Pravda, where bar manager Savis poured me up a shot that had pineapple and some kind of caramel vodka. It burned so good. The Forum on Thursday was the vibe I'd been waiting for.

Well done AKAs, but the ladies of pink and green weren't the only ones packing them in on Thursday. The party at V-Lounge was nuts. They were at capacity by 1 a.m. Heat smacked you in the face like a bitter ex as soon as you walked into the club. The bartenders looked overwhelmed, but they handled it. I have to pause to applaud two strong women I saw tonight.

The first was a shortie at the Forum. She was fine in her fitted top and jeans and she walked through a throng of guys like she was wearing sweats and a T-shirt. The guys tried to touch her and dance on her in a disrespectful way. She pushed them off and stood her ground. Too few women do that. The second hand-clap goes to the female bartender at the V-Lounge. She's pouring drinks and some dude grabs her hand to get her attention. She snatches her hand away and tells him to wait, and then she continued taking orders from people who were there first. Good look.

V-Lounge was so crowded and hot that the idea of dancing seemed masochistic. Of course people danced anyway. T-Gangsta and his crew took over the floor upstairs. He was so hype, he jumped onto his friend's shoulders during one song, but the security guard made him get down. Another guy in T-Gangsta's crew danced so hard that his oversized jeans fell to his ankles. He didn't stop. The security guard shook his head and then made him pull his pants up. Crazy baby, crazy.

Surprisingly, I was home by 2:30 a.m. I was glad to get in early because I want to catch Steve Harvey's live broadcast in a couple of hours.

Were you out Thursday night? What good party did I miss? Post your replies below, and holla' at a sista' if you see me in the streets. (Party hard, party safe.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthony from Universal Cuts had a party at Zink. The music by DJ Chase was bananas.