Thursday, January 04, 2007

Rock, paper, Edward Scissorhands

I was excited about seeing "Edward Scissorhands" until Observer theater critic Julie Coppens told me the production at Blumenthal's Belk Theater was a dance performance instead of a play. After spending what felt like eternity at "The Nutcracker" in December, I wasn't in the mood to sit through more dancing. Plus, I'll be seeing Savion Glover in February, so I needed a break. J-Cop suggested I go anyway, saying "Edward Scissorhands" was a production she'd been looking forward to most this year. Plus, she assured me it'd be nothing like "The Nutcracker."



I took her advice, and didn't regret it. I haven't seen the movie, and I definitely didn't know what to expect from the performance. The production was done in such a way that you don't need to know the movie to understand or appreciate the performance. The story of a misfit who is tolerated and ultimately rejected is portrayed through jazzy dance numbers that are often humorous.



That's right, "Edward Scissorhands" is a love story. Don't all misfit stories seem to revolve around love? I wouldn't mind a story about a misfit who doesn't get the girl because he's a misfit. That'd be keeping it real.



Anyway, the production made me want to rent the movie so I can see how it compared to the Belk show. Did you see the production? If so, did you like it? And how did it compare to the movie? Post your reply below.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tonya - Savion Glover is coming to Charlotte? When and where? Please post details. Thanks!