Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Game time, party time, enough talk

Next week, the CIAA comes to town and it's going to make uptown feel like a real city. We'll have people walking the streets, visiting restaurants, shopping and chilling uptown from late morning until the way after the sun goes down. Uptown Charlotte will have some real energy.

Bars and restaurants will be packed and many are staying open late. Mert's will be open until late. I can't wait. I met a woman the other day who will be selling fried fish sandwiches near Time. Fried fish! Forget hotdogs and sausages. Give me some hot sauce and white bread.

I know there will be a bunch of basketball games at the arena since it is a basketball tournament involving historically black colleges and universities in North Carolina and Virginia, but I'm excited about the parties.

Tom Joyner won't be here, but Steve Harvey will. Joyner, a longtime CIAA tournament supporter, is on Radio One-owned Q92.7, but Infinity-owned V101.9 is a tournament sponsor. Harvey is on V101.9.

Magic Johnson is going to be here. No Grease is hosting a Mardi Gras themed fashion show with a brass band -- a brass band. On March 4, there will be almost as many parties during the day as there will be that night. The Omegas fraternity brothers will even have a breakfast party. There's also a pajama party.

To really grasp how big this is, check out the list of CIAA week parties. It took me four hours to compile it and I'm still getting e-mails about other parties.

By the way, I'm looking for the women's I met last year in a hotel lounge and who promised me breakfast. You know who you are, holla' at your girl.

Do you have a party I need to attend? What are you most looking forward to? Post your replies below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My plan is just to avoid uptown during the CIAA, even with all the fun going on. No, not a race thing. I just can't stand crowds, long waits at restaurants and paying $20 for parking. It will be a zoo. Great for Charlotte though and I hope things go well and everyone has a blast.

Anonymous said...

You can't go wrong with the Dynasty5 hosted parties. They throw the largest ones every year. Thousands of folk both nights at the CIAA in Raleigh. And their crowds are always the most professional looking. That's where the regular CIAA'ers will be.