Monday, July 17, 2006

Skydiving in Chester


It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's Frenchie.

I'm standing in the doorway watching clouds zip below me. My tandem partner is connected behind me yelling instructions. Knees in. Back straight. Squat. She grabs my head and pulls up.

This is the moment when I'm wondering why the heck I decided to skydiving - again.

I'm the first jumper out of a group of four -- my girl, L-Boogie and Frenchie -- on Sunday at Sky Dive Carolina in Chester. The Charlotte Breezers, a black social and snow ski club, organized the outing.
My girl is terrified. L-Boogie is hype. Frenchie is slightly nervous. I'm faking stoic, but I went to the bathroom all morning long. (For the record, my girl is now hooked and wants to be aninstructor. And Frenchie and L-Boogie are glad they went.)

Now, I'm standing at the doorway wondering if I'm going to scream during the entire freefall like I did last time.

My tandem instructor, Heidi, launches us out of the plane. I scream. My heart races. Air rushes into my mouth. Suddenly, I get used to the feeling of falling, no it's more like flying and I stop screaming.

I take short breaths so my mouth doesn't dry out and hold my arms. I arch my back and plummet, mentally scream curses and know I'll definitely do it again.

Skydiving is the closest I'll ever get to flying like a eagle, and the seconds of terror are well worth that thrill.

What's the scariest thing you've ever done? Post your replies below.

2 comments:

Michael said...

Jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft was the scariest thing I've ever done as well.

And, like you, I went back. Twice.

Why in the first place? I think there may be a very, VERY thin line between thrill-seeking and a death-wish. My first time, after a majorly serious breakup, may have been more of the latter.

But how to explain that second and third trip? I think I went a second time because of the unbelievable rush I got from the first one and the desire to recreate it. The third left me less than happy due to an obnoxious tandem partner. And then life sort of got in the way.

Two things I brought from that experience:

1) There is no way I can sustain one continuous scream for 60 seconds and/or 6,000 feet (and taking a big breath to scream a second time until the 'chute opens is just too comedy movieish).

B) Even the 70 MPH speed limit section of I-77 headed back north seems slow after that 120+ MPH drop: keep an eye on your speedometer!

Anonymous said...

your girl an instructor...i'll skydive with her ANYDAY!!! she is HOTTTTT!!