Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Roots cancelled

Yes, it's true. The Roots concert at Amos' Southend on Thursday has been cancelled. When I caught up with club owner John Ellison by telephone on Wednesday afternoon, he said he was about to throw himself off the roof of his club. I begged him not to. After all, I'd never get a giant bear hug from him again.

The cancellation is a result of construction delays and Ellison assures fans that once the club re-opens it's going to be the premier live music facility in the area. I can't imagine how frustrated he is since he owns the club, but I know I'm disappointed and so are Roots fans. My e-mail, cell phone and telephone have been blowing up. For hip-hop fans this was the show of the year -- the Roots and Common. I'm crying as I type this. Freelance photographer Ebony Stubbs suggested we show up at Amos' anyway on Thursday. Maybe we could bring a boom box and have our own concert.

Ugh, it's been gloomy and gray all week, and now this. I might join John on the roof.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that the Roots were coming to Charlotte until today, but I'm glad that its now cancelled so that I'm not missing anything. Being from Philly I would've been crushed to hear they came and not being able to see them. I think that this newspaper needs to do a better job highlighting the music that comes through this area.

Anonymous said...

I'm very soooo disappointed that they aren't coming. I've had my tickets for a few weeks and I just settled on an outfit for the concert and arranged for child care and everything. I might just be feelin' that boombox idea....or maybe the roof idea sounds better....

Anonymous said...

No, no, no, no!!!! I was soooo looking forward to this show. Any chance they'll reschedule???????????

Anonymous said...

Had amos' not re-opened for a couple of weeks before this. I heard that it was due to capacity issues, i.e. overselling of tickets. Who know's...I'm just pissed.

Anonymous said...

Jameson,

The roots will be playing at the forum so don't you worry, like you would anyway... you are pathetic with your lackluster articles and your outsider sense of charlotte. By the way, Common broke out from the underground in 2000 with his release "Light water for Chocolate" and has been around since 1993 with "can a borrow a dollar." Get your facts straight, if your going to be a pop-columnist do some research... i wonder when did you first hear about the roots and i'm just white preppy boy in your book ...just curious?

Regards,

lame duck

Anonymous said...

Tonya never does research. I guess she's too busy "holla'-in at her peeps" and writing in this crappy blog to fact check. Her ignorance and racialized tunnelvision are her defining characteristics.

She also wrote once that the Sex Pistols played the Milestone Club!!

Alas, she's the ACLU's wet dream. No way is a black gay woman ever going to be fired, no matter what.